Being a Better GM #1 - GM's Rule!

Good Day Acolytes of the Workshop! Today I wanted to post the first in the series - Being a Better GM. This series is about my thoughts on being a GM, and what can we do to run better, funner, more enjoyable games for everyone at the table, including us! It also includes what I hope is a realistic look at myself as a GM, what my blind spots are, what works in my games, what doesn't, and how I feel about being a GM. I hope over time it will be instructive, it will have some useable tips, and that I can improve my game as well.

I will be the first to admit that I am not the best GM out there. I rarely do voices, I can get bogged down in combat, I will let my players sit and spin (for hours) to solve a mundane puzzle in hopes that they will figure it out, and I often reward too much treasure (I always use treasure tables). 

I love world building and adventure design. I am a die on that hill sandbox advocate. I think flexing your improv skills and spontaneity skills are important and a real key to unlocking fun for a GM. I think a little bit of anxiety over running a good game is a good thing. I believe that in my worlds there is always good and evil, not necessarily tied to deities and their work. I know that B/X is the best set of RPG rules, but there is a lot of room under this tent. And that the best thing is to roll some dice, have a drink, and laugh with your friends. 

I have actively tried over the years to be a better GM. I have experienced Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours to be an expert in my life multiple times. It is a real thing. Your personal tools and makeup can help, but you have to put in the work. Reading, rereading, and rereading, cross referencing, comparing this method to another to understand methodology and outcome, writing, and then applying that to playing. It is work, and there are a ton of resources out there to help make you a better GM based on the philosophy of their approach. And many are like gold. I will do a post about the ones I use and the ones that I think are great and helpful in my games. Many you already know and they are touted across the interwebs. Maybe I can show a few that you may not be familiar with. 

Ultimately this is about respecting the difficulty of the job you have as a GM, recognizing you are playing too so you deserve fun and enjoyment when you play, and crafting the kind of game you want  to present to your players. They are partners in crime to be sure, but you are the mad mastermind of the crew. And if you are enjoying what you are giving them, they will enjoy it as well. Maybe. Sometimes. Occasionally. Rarely. But even murder hobos need a world to destroy, innocent lives to shatter, and hooks to ignore. And who's gonna provide that? Them?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sure.

LONG LIVE THE GAME MASTER!!!!!


Comments